Dedication!

Dedication!
This is Paradise, I'm telling ya.

Thursday 27 December 2012

My Top 10 Films of 2012

It's been a while... but then I have been busy.

Kinda.

Anyway, rather than ramble on about what I'm yet to do or have done since I last posted, here are my top films of 2012.

NOTE: I have yet to see some absolute (apparent) corkers like Django Unchained and The Raid, so apologies. But of all the films I've seen this year, these are my absolute favourites. Do you agree? Doubt it.

10. Expendables 2
           If you 'got the joke' it's a far superior movie than the first. A good riff on the 80's actioner. Technically awful but just a great popcorn movie that will find a home on home viewings.

9. We Need To Talk About Kevin
          The best acting committed to film in 2012. 

8. The Cabin In The Wood.
          It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but a great nod to all the sub-genres of horror. It's also a very clever idea that only works if you know very little about the movie before you watch it. When 'it' happens you will either love it or despise it. From Dusk Till Dawn' syndrome.

7. Brave
         It's not trying to be a toy-shifter like Cars, nor is it trying to be another epic franchise like Toy Story. It's an original tale from the greatest animation studio on Earth, so kudos for trying something new. I thought it was really original and a brave direction for them to go in. Urgh. An un-intentional pun.


6. 21 Jump Street
     My respect for that talking chest of an actor shot through the roof. Funniest film of 2012.

5. Dredd
     Because they finally got it right! Until last week it was the best 3D I've seen as well...

4. Life of Pi
    And then this film came along and blew it out the water. If all 3D films were like this instead of horrible ways to get us all to pay 3 extra quid then maybe we'd all see 3D as an art form? Great acting and literally the best 3D ever... but the story is a little 'Forrest Gump on a raft' (which I'm sure was 'Castaway'). Only see this in 3D at the cinema.


3. The Dark Knight Rises
    It would be higher if it didn't mumble along so much. Why wasn't BANE the brute we were all expecting? Still... an amazing film and the perfect end to the trilogy! It simply suffered sitting quite literally alongside TDK. 


2. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
     In 24FPS this was the return to Middle Earth we were all waiting for. In 48FPS I would have returned it to the fires of Mount Doom. A great movie that leads me to wonder if Jackson can pull off the trilogy? Only time will tell.


1. The Avengers
    The Avengers (Or, 'Avengers Assemble' if you're stupid) was everything I wanted it to be. Yes, it was riddled with plot holes ("Here's Banner on a bike!" "Aliens are attacking a few blocks of New York... lets NUKE IT ALL!") but it's MARVEL! Whedon (and I give credit still to Millar!) managed to juggle huge characters and it paid off... with great dialogue and brilliant set-pieces to boot! To me, the MARVEL wagon is the franchise to follow and reminds me of the great films I had when I was a kid. BTTF, Indy etc. I loved it.. it was the reason cinemas were invented; to lose yourself in fantasy.

Do you agree? Let us know.

Peace out. x

A




No comments:

Post a Comment